How Do You Understand the Basics of Electrical Work?

About Me

How Do You Understand the Basics of Electrical Work?

Many people fear electrical work, and it's true that there should be a healthy respect of its potential for causing danger. However, learning about electricity is not impossible, and honestly, it's not as scary as you might imagine. Hi, my name is Pat, and I love to help other people with DIY projects. In this blog, I want to focus on electrical work, learning the basics of electricity and related topics. When I'm not writing, I love to surf, teach my son new DIY tricks, spend time with my wife and run. Of course, I also have to work, and during the week, you can find me selling tyres at a local shop.

Electrical Woes | Raise The Alarm With These 4 Symptoms Of Timeworn Electrical Wiring In Your Rental Home

If you live in a rental apartment, then you have certain rights, especially when it comes to a safe living environment. When electrical wiring becomes faulty and timeworn, it can pose a danger to you and your family. Raise the alarm if you notice any of these symptoms of timeworn electrical wiring in your home. Your landlord will need to call an electrician immediately to take care of the problem. 

You Notice Lights Dimming And Flickering For No Reason

If you notice lights dimming and flickering often, then there is something wrong with the home's wiring. Flickering typically occurs when the wires are unable to handle the electrical load, especially when heavy-duty appliances are switched on. This happens because old wires are unable to meet the electrical load requirements of new machines and appliances. A telltale sign of timeworn wiring is when you notice more than one light flicker within a circuit when you switch on an appliance. Be sure to let your landlord know about this problem immediately, so that appropriate action can be taken through a professional electrician.

You Notice Fuses And Circuit Breakers Going Off

A frequently tripping fuse could either be because of extra load on the circuit or if there is a short circuit somewhere in the wiring. An overloaded circuit can be caused because old wiring is damaged or insulation has ripped off over time. A fuse blowing is also a sign of uneven flow of electricity, which could also be caused because of faulty wiring.

You Notice Buzzing Or Hot Switchboards

If you find your switchboards heating up, then this could be because of an underlying problem with the electrical wiring. Faulty wiring may even cause a buzzing sound within your switchboard, while leaving your outlets charred and discoloured. Buzzing or hot switchboards are particularly dangerous because they could trigger shocks when operated. Don't attempt to fix this problem on your own. Wait for your landlord to call a qualified electrician for addressing the issue.

You Notice A Burning Odour Within The Home

If you notice a burning odour from the outlets, then it is probably because the wires are getting burnt internally. A burning odour can eventually trigger an electrical fire, so turn off all connections and unplug all appliances for the time being. Make sure your landlord hires a qualified electrician to address this problem before a dangerous fire starts in your rental home.

Timeworn electrical wiring is dangerous for you and your family. Ask your landlord to hire a qualified electrician immediately to tackle all problems related to it.