How Do You Understand the Basics of Electrical Work?

About Me

How Do You Understand the Basics of Electrical Work?

Many people fear electrical work, and it's true that there should be a healthy respect of its potential for causing danger. However, learning about electricity is not impossible, and honestly, it's not as scary as you might imagine. Hi, my name is Pat, and I love to help other people with DIY projects. In this blog, I want to focus on electrical work, learning the basics of electricity and related topics. When I'm not writing, I love to surf, teach my son new DIY tricks, spend time with my wife and run. Of course, I also have to work, and during the week, you can find me selling tyres at a local shop.

4 Potential Causes Of An Electrical Fire In Your Home

Life threatening electrical fires could occur for several different reasons, so you'll naturally want to ensure that all powered appliances in your home are free from damage at all times. Taking preventative measures to avoid these hazardous fires may require you to employ professional electrical contractors from time to time to keep your home safe and protected. These potential electrical fire causes should be avoided through regular maintenance in your home.

Faulty Wiring

Faulty wiring is perhaps the largest cause behind household electrical wires because of loose sparks. With time, the number of appliances in your home will increase. This will wear out and weaken your existing wiring because it cannot take the load of the increased appliances. Weakened wiring will eventually lead to short circuits, blown-out fuses and electrical fires if ignored. Older wiring may also heat up quickly, which could lead to household fires. Pay attention to loosely hanging wires or sizzling sounds behind the walls. You will need to contact electrical contractors immediately to replace your wiring.

Old Appliances Heating Up

Appliances that are old and not maintained well are at risk of starting a fire, especially if they are not grounded well. These appliances can generate a tremendous amount of heat, which can lead to a fire. If your appliance gives you a shock, blows a fuse or trips a circuit breaker, then you may either need to get it repaired or replaced. Make sure that appliances like heaters are not kept close to any combustible materials or furniture because the increased heat can lead to household fires.

Light Fixtures Going Beyond Permissible Wattage

Installing light fixtures with higher wattage than permissible means that the electrical socket cannot handle the additional light load. This extra load may lead to an electrical fire. You'll ideally want to check permissible light limits before installing any fixtures in your home. Keep in mind that decorative lights with plastic or cloth coverings are in danger of causing a fire if they overheat. Your electrical contractors will be able to recommend light fixtures ideal for the wattage in your home.  

Overloaded Extension Cords

Extension cords can get overloaded when connected to multiple devices like televisions, computers and refrigerators. This overload can eventually lead to electrical fires. Ideally, high-powered appliances should be plugged directly into outlets, rather than connecting them to extension cords. This is because the extension cord may not have the capacity to manage such heavy electrical loads simultaneously. Extension cords should also have safety closures to protect your children from shocks.

You'll ideally want your electrical contractors to check your home's wiring every once in a while to prevent the possibility of unnecessary household electrical fires, but following the advice in the article should keep your home a little safer.